Cooking with Turkey for I Love British Turkey Campaign

As few weeks ago I was approached by I Love British Turkey to take part in their effort to promote "The Xmas piece de resistance". And resistance, there was a little on my behalf, I can count on the fingers of one hand, the number of times I've cooked turkey.

Why? It is a matter of reputation, not mine that of the turkey. So I wanted to make sure where the meat originates from before I entered the competition. I couldn't get a better answer, 'Your choice' and I was encourage to look for, "for the British Turkey Quality Mark: the Little Red Tractor known as Red Tractor".

I therefore agreed and went on to purchase my cuts. If Charlotte at Charlotte's Kitchen Diary was having a smooth time, finding free range turkey priced less than chicken, my experience was at the antipodes.

Two large local supermarkets were not stocking turkey. It was a case of third time lucky for the minced meat, which cost only two pounds for 500g and did make for a lovely, dish. But when it came to the half crown from my local butcher, I could not believe the price even not free-range, it blew my entire budget,  I could have bought a whole supermarket turkey for the price of one breast.

My entry for the competition is an easy to make, really smart on the table, very low in calories,  winning dish.

 Peppadew and Pistachio Terrine


 Ingredients 
  • 500g turkey mince
  • 1 onion, finely chopped
  • 2 garlic clove, crushed
  • 50g roughly crushed pistachios
  • 6 or 7 peppadews chopped finely
  • 1 spray or tsp of olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
  • 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
  • 2 tablespoons brandy
  • 1/2 teaspoon allspice
  • salt and pepper to season
  • 2 egg yolks
  • a couple of peppadews whole and few salad leaves to decorate

 Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 170C - 338F - gas mark 3 - fan oven 150C
  2. In a frying pan, heat the oil, fry the onion and the garlic slowly, take off the heat when cooked.
  3. Place all the other ingredients in a large bowl
  4. Mix them all using your hands
  5. Transfer the content of frying pan in the bowl, mix it all up thoroughly,
  6. Line a loaf pan with baking parchment and tip the mixture in the loaf pan, cover with the side of the parchment or with aluminium foil.
  7. Place the  loaf pan in a tray filled with enough water so that it comes to halfway up the sides of the loaf pan
  8. Bake for 1 1/2h
  9. Remove the terrine and place on a tray now for the fun bit weigh it down with a couple of cans.
  10. Refrigerate overnight.
Decorate with Peppadew and a few leaves of salad, serve with chutney, gherkins, bread. It will keep 4 days in the fridge


What is the red tractor logo: After research I was told that In terms of poultry meat the logo means that livestock is kept in more humane surroundings - in essence farmers / stock owners have to demonstrate a high standard of husbandry ensuring that welfare meets nationally agreed
levels of best agricultural practice.
However if all aspects are covered, it is hard to know what is looked for and does not mean that the food is made in Britain

For more information on the Peppadew peppers, take a look at www.peppadew.com
I have entering this recipe into the British Blogger competition over at I love Turkey http://www.britishturkey.co.uk/.

No comments:

si

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails